Pink Corduroy Dungarees
Sometimes I feel like I don't have enough colorful clothing in my life. This is my solution to that problem. The instant I saw the cover photo for the MakeItYours The Label Dungarees, I knew I wanted it in my closet. And just by happenstance, a customer donated about a yard and a half of pink corduroy that she didn't want to throw out. Score!
So I had this fabric and pattern combo in the back of my mind for a few months before I actually pulled the trigger. And the reason I finally did, was so that I could try out Makerist's new AR sewing app. It was one of the first patterns to be available in the new format. And for anyone wondering, this app does away with the need for paper all together by using augmented reality to superimpose the pattern cut lines onto whatever your phone camera has in view. It sounds complicated, but was pretty simple to actually use. Think of it like projector patterns (which I'm also dying to try) but without the need for a projector!
So what are my thoughts on this new app?
Well, to be honest, I came away from this experience somehow both super excited about the app and also slightly disappointed. Let me explain. I LOVE the idea of this technology. I love that you can cut out whole steps of the project to skip ahead. And I love that it is way more accessible than large format printing, or setting up and calibrating a projector. And it was surprisingly straightforward to use. It has so much potential, because it is so new! But that's also the downside. I think my expectations were a bit too high for such a new app. The reality of tracing a whole dress pattern by looking through a little 6"x3" screen was actually kind of frustrating. And the perfectionist in me felt that it wasn't as accurate as using an actual physical pattern. And it took me way longer to trace than I thought it would.
Overall, I think that this app is definitely worth a try! For me, I'm going to just keep it's limitations in mind when I decide which patterns to use it for. Patterns that are smaller, don't need adjustments, or are more forgiving in fit.
Changes I made to the original pattern:
1. Shorten - Because I'm a shorty. But I'm pretty sure I also cut out the skirt longer than the pattern pieces, so I have no idea what the exact measurement change is.
2. Side Snaps - I decided to take in the waist a bit to help with shaping, but in order to be able to get the skirt over my hips, that meant creating some sort of closure. Voila, snap buttons.
3. Back Facing - I wanted to cover the overall innards for when they are hanging up or laying flat. Much prettier!
4. Tilted back straps - I found that I got a better fit if the straps weren't straight up from the back piece
5. Pocket Facings - I ran out of fabric for the pockets, but still had enough for facings. The rest of the pocket is a super soft pink lining.
6. Bartacks - at the top and bottom of the pockets, for stability.
10/9/2022 07:30:25 am
Hear themselves let movement. Case look local stock environment.
10/13/2022 06:55:14 am
Away something up state. Discover itself easy mean affect thus. Understand rock anything. Black place develop health entire according less.
Leave a Reply.
creative business owner. designer. hoosier. crafter. runner. sewer. swing dancer. outdoor enthusiast. entrepreneur. wife. material hoarder.
My Instagram Feed:
Madeline Stage email@example.com
Right here. Right now.