My name is Madeline Stage. I am 30 years old, and born and raised in Indiana. I have a degree in Apparel Design from Ball State University and an unending supply of curiosity about how things are made. I started sewing when I was about 7 years old. I made a really cute/horrible 2 legged elephant named Elliott (I still have him) and I haven't stopped since.
☆ Rescue Graveyard Goods (unwanted/abandoned materials).
☆ Make beautiful and functional awesomeness out of it.
☆ Inspire other people to do the same.
☆ Have fun while doing it!!
If you are at all confused (or maybe just wondering) about the different sections of my business, this breakdown is for you:
1. My legal business name is Goheen LLC. This is my maiden name. My business was developing as I got married a few years ago, and the eminent loss of my beloved surname led me to latch onto it as a business name.
2. I rescue discarded craft materials. Mostly sewing things, like fabric, but also an assortment of other things. I get them in a variety of ways: garage sales, donations, second hand shops, and a general refusal to let project scraps be thrown away at local businesses. This is a business strategy, but first and foremost it is an innate hoarding tendency. And unfortunately for my husband I keep it all in our two bedroom apartment...
3. I make things out of the discarded materials. This is one of my favorite pastimes, because nothing brings me more creative satisfaction than puzzling out how best to use the random materials at hand to create whole new products! This part of my business is called GREEN GRAVES and you can find these products in my Etsy shop by the same name. Along with my second hand homemade products, you can find a few second hand vintage and craft items.
4. I try to inspire other people to create things too! Especially things out of discarded materials. This is where the Goheen Designs Pattern Shop comes in. I have several PDF downloadable patterns for sale! Yay! AND, I now offer Sewing Kits as well. These kits come with one of the aforementioned patterns, as well as enough rescued fabric to make a finished project!
5. So the fun part. It's all fun right?? Well, I am a social creature. I love meeting people, trying new things, learning, and joining clubs. I love having a community. The Artamis is my (very) far off goal of having a brick and mortar community center/local craft gallery/meeting space/thrift store/learning center/dance hall. Obviously, it is so far in the future that I'm not entirely sure what it will be. But I am determined to take baby steps towards it, and I have one of these baby steps in motion for now. I have a Goheen and GreenGraves Pattern Sewing Group on Facebook. I would love to have you join me there, or simply follow me on instagram @GoheenDesigns
photo credit to Studio B Image